As we’ve seen from the ubiquity of Doyin Richards and the most recent “Live True” spot from Dewar’s, the Father’s Day advertising season has begun. We have particularly high hopes for this year, and not just because brands are taking Father’s Day seriously; spending on gifts is expected to exceed $12.7 billion (especially among millennials, who will spend around $160 apiece on gifts, far greater than the overall average).
If last year’s crop of ads is any guide, it will be a hard act to follow. So as we prepare to see how 2016 wants us to honor the dads in our lives next month, here’s a look at some of our favorites from 2015:
- “First Fatherhood Moments” from Dove Men+Care, which captures those brilliant moments of slow realization that we’re about to become dads for the first time. A classic.
- “Happy Father’s Day, Dad” from Miller Lite, a short-and-sweet take on the tacit understandings between a father and son.
- “Making Memories” from Subaru, featuring a dad cleaning out his car and reliving the milestone moments attached to each little piece of detritus.
- “Loving Eyes” from Toyota Japan, a remarkable piece of storytelling that qualifies as a short film; a dad lives through his daughter’s growth stages, and then the point-of-view switches to her, after she’s become a new mom.
- “Father’s Day Redo” from Toyota, inspires us to reconsider Father’s Day as an important time to contact an important man and tell him you love him.
And this particular gem: “Happy Father’s Day, Mom” from Angel Soft, with adults showing their appreciation for the single moms who raised them. It’s open to a spectrum of interpretation, obviously, but we choose to look at it as a demonstration of how important a dad is in a child’s life, and how hard it is on the family when, for whatever reason, he’s not around.
What will our favorites from 2016 be? We can’t wait to find out.